You are hereBlog
The following appeared in the May 10, 2013 edition of the Press & Argus:
Mark Farner, former leader of the classic-rock band Grand Funk Railroad and a Livingston County resident, will be the featured performer at this year’s 53rd annual Howell Melon Festival, set for Aug. 17.
The 16th annual Parshallville Community Association Easter Egg Hunt will be held on Saturday, March 30 at the Parshallville Cider Mill at 11:00am.
Residents look forward to PCA's most popular event. Children of all ages from Parshallville gather on the Saturday before Easter to hunt for the approximately 900 candy-filled eggs hidden on the property. Parents and grandparents watch the fun while catching up with the latest news in the neighborhood.
The weather outside may be frightful, but the soup inside will be delightful! Come join us for the Second Annual Soup Contest Party! PCA will be hosting the soup party on Saturday February 9 at the home of Larry and Diane Detter, 5789 Cider Mill Dr, at 5:30pm.
Bring a pot of homemade or store bought soup and your favorite beverage. PCA will supply the coffee. Prepare your soup at home and bring it in a slow cooker or large pot to the Detter's house on Saturday, February 9 at 5:30 pm. Everybody will have a chance to taste each soup and vote for their favorite.
If you are not bringing soup but want to bring something, we would welcome some bread, rolls, crackers or dessert to share, or just bring your appetite to eat, visit and vote for your favorite soup.
Please RSVP by Thursday February 7 to Laurie Mentley at 810-632-3249 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
It's that time of year again — the annual Hanging of the Greens. Parshallville residents Larry and Diane Detter, Bob Conaway, and David Lee took time out of their busy Saturday schedule's to help decorate Parshallville. Pictured above is a nice touch to the Cemetery archway. The group also decorated the bridge, the Parshallville City Limits sign and the Cider Mill sign on the corner of Parshallville and Old 23.
Stroll through the village of Parshallville for an evening of Christmas Caroling on Saturday December 8th. We will meet at Larry and Diane Detter's house, 5789 Cider Mill Drive in the Parshallville Pond Subdivision, at 5 pm. Song sheets will be provided. After caroling, warm up with hot chocolate, coffee and refreshments at the Detter's. Call 248-514-4761 with any questions. Please RSVP by Thursday December 6.
A few highlights from the November 14th Board Meeting:
- David Lee, Webmaster has improved our PCA website by making it easier for members to register. Take a look.
- Since some of us are leaving PCA and becoming involved in other activities, we need new volunteers to take over several committees. The PCA has helped our community get to know each other again, discover people who need a helping hand, and create a sense of neighborhood and community. If you are sitting at home with a little extra time, join us and meet the people in and around Parshallville, who are friendly, caring and lots of fun.
- Hanging of the Greens: David has planned for volunteers to meet on Dec 1st at 12:00 noon to hang the greens along the bridge and put a wreath at the cemetery entrance. We are very pleased that Ms. Posey will do Memorial Day decorations again next year.
- We are pleased to welcome Kristy Beltz, to chair the Newsletter Committee.
The Winners of the Second Annual Parshallville Community Association Pie Contest on November 10th have been announced. In the sweet dessert category, the winning entry was Dorothy Gogoleski's Chocolate Cream Pie. Winning in the savory main dish category was Conseulo Moreno's Mexican Pie. Both ladies read about the contest in the Parshallville Press, newsletter for PCA, and wanted to compete. It's a good thing they did, because their entries were delicious. Although they were unable to attend the gathering, their pies were sent over to the Detter home for judging.
Parshallville's very own Emma Winegarner along with Larry and Diane Detter will be performing in the upcoming musical comedy, On The Road.
Scheduled for Oct. 24 and Oct. 25 at 1:30pm, and Oct. 26 at 7:30pm, the musical comedy will be performed at the Hartland Performing Arts Auditorium at 9525 Highland Road (M-59).
Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Come on out for some great laughs!
The Parshallville Community Association (PCA) will be hosting a Family Bonfire on Saturday, October 13 at 5:00pm. The location of this year's bonfire will be 7868 Parshallville Rd (home of Kristy and Tim Beltz). Watch for road signs directing you to the house.
The PCA will provide coffee and cider. It's a potluck, so please bring a dish to pass. You might also want to bring your favorite beverage, a lawn chair, and a pumpkin to carve and carving utensils.
The following items were just a few of the many topics discussed at a recent board meeting:
- The association has discussed changing the day of the week for the Annual Meeting.
- We would like to get more members to sign onto the website and vote for preferences on issues important to the community.
- Some residents are concerned by the speeding on Allen Road. The board has been looking into this and we have recently seen the sheriff patrolling the area.
- The board will be offering free advertising to PCA members in our quarterly newsletter.
- The board will continue monitor the phosphorus content in the pond.